[yt-users] SSLError when trying to update

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 21 11:35:27 PDT 2017

​Hi Nathan,

I just tried again about an hour ago and was able to successfully update.
So whatever the problem was, it seems to be fixed now.

On a different note, when I do 'conda update anaconda' it asks me if I want
to downgrade a whole slew of packages due to dependency conflicts including
astropy, matplotlib, numpy, and scipy among others.  Any idea what's up
with that?  I'll ask on the anaconda user's list.

Regards,
Jon

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM, <yt-users-request at lists.spacepope.org>
wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 11:52:56 -0500
> From: Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of the yt analysis package
>         <yt-users at lists.spacepope.org>
> Subject: Re: [yt-users] SSLError when trying to update
>
> Hey Jonathan,
>
> I asked about this in the conda-forge gitter channel and got a response
> after a few days:
>
> No worries, @ngoldbaum. So we package our certificates in a separate
> package called ca-certificates. They are just extracted from the certifi
> Python package and relocated to allow things like openssl and curl to find
> them. This differs from Continuum (or at least last time I checked), which
> has them bundled with openssl. The first thing I'd have him check is that
> package installed and can Python find them, python -c "import ssl;
> print(ssl.get_default_verify_paths())". If the answer is no, then that is
> likely a problem. If the answer is yes, then maybe it has something to do
> with how this redirection is being handled.
>
> So you should check to see if a package named ca-certificates is installed
> in your conda environment. If it is, you should also check the output of
> ssl.get_default_verify_paths(). If it turns out that your python can't
> find
> the CA certificates store, that's your issue. If it turns out that python
> is locating the CA certificates, then this might be due to a bug in how
> conda-forge or continuum have decided to handle this issue.
>
> Unfortunately kind of a headache. I hope you're able to figure this out :)
>
> -Nathan

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA