[yt-users] SSLError when trying to update

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:52:56 PDT 2017

Hey Jonathan,

I asked about this in the conda-forge gitter channel and got a response
after a few days:

No worries, @ngoldbaum. So we package our certificates in a separate
package called ca-certificates. They are just extracted from the certifi
Python package and relocated to allow things like openssl and curl to find
them. This differs from Continuum (or at least last time I checked), which
has them bundled with openssl. The first thing I'd have him check is that
package installed and can Python find them, python -c "import ssl;
print(ssl.get_default_verify_paths())". If the answer is no, then that is
likely a problem. If the answer is yes, then maybe it has something to do
with how this redirection is being handled.

So you should check to see if a package named ca-certificates is installed
in your conda environment. If it is, you should also check the output of
ssl.get_default_verify_paths(). If it turns out that your python can't find
the CA certificates store, that's your issue. If it turns out that python
is locating the CA certificates, then this might be due to a bug in how
conda-forge or continuum have decided to handle this issue.

Unfortunately kind of a headache. I hope you're able to figure this out :)

-Nathan