[yt-users] Cello Frontend for yt

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 16:04:53 PDT 2016

Hi Thomas,

yt doesn't currently support loading data from Cello without doing some
preprocessing work first. If the data fit in memory, you should be able to
load the data with the load_amr_grids(), which supports loading arbitrary
AMR data. Here's the documentation for load_amr_grids:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/reference/api/generated/yt.frontends.stream.data_structures.load_amr_grids.html
http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/examining/generic_array_data.html?highlight=load_amr_grids

I know that Matt Turk experimented with loading Enzo-P/Cello about at the
last Enzo workshop in 2015. Here's a script from my e-mail archives from
back then that purports to load some cello data (no idea if something
analogous will work with your data):

https://paste.yt-project.org/show/5880/

I never tried running this script, so no warranties or guarantees :)

In principle it should be possible to write a code frontend for
Cello/Enzo-P and support it as a first class level in yt, but someone would
need to spend time working on that.

If you or anyone else would be interested in adding an Enzo-P/Cello code
frontend, I'm sure it would be a very welcome addition that we would love
to have as part of yt. There are several people who have been working on
adding new frontends for other codes recently so you should be able to get
some freshly informed advice.

-Nathan