[yt-users] outputting Gadget2 files in HDF5 format to visualize in yt

turhan nasri turhannasri at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 16:01:36 PST 2016

Hi,
I am just starting to learn the SPH simulation code Gadget2, I followed
this tutorial
https://astrobites.org/2011/04/02/installing-and-running-gadget-2/ and
succesfully ran the simulation and got some output files.
However, I needed to comment out the -DHAVE HDF5 to avoid compilation error
and now I have no good way to visualize my output. I srated with SPLASH but
still trying to figure out how to deal with some error there.

I figured out yt has analysis tool for Gadget outputs and I would very much
love to try yt. I would very appreciate if anyone tells me how to get
Gadget output in HDF5 formate.
I am using ubuntu 16.04LTS. I need to know how to install HDF5 or necessary
package in my machine to get the HDF5 output first. laso If you tell me a
little how to change the Gadget Makefile for that, that would be very nice.
I am quoting some excerpt from my Makefile.

#--------------------------------------- Output
OPT   +=  -DHAVE_HDF5
#OPT   +=  -DOUTPUTPOTENTIAL
#OPT   +=  -DOUTPUTACCELERATION
#OPT   +=  -DOUTPUTCHANGEOFENTROPY
#OPT   +=  -DOUTPUTTIMESTEP

# Here, select compile environment for the target machine. This may need
# adjustment, depending on your local system. Follow the examples to add
# additional target platforms, and to get things properly compiled.

#--------------------------------------- Select some defaults

CC       =  mpicc               # sets the C-compiler
OPTIMIZE =  -O2 -Wall -g        # sets optimization and warning flags
MPICHLIB =  -lmpich

#--------------------------------------- Select target computer

SYSTYPE="trina"
#SYSTYPE="Mako"
#SYSTYPE="Regatta"
#SYSTYPE="RZG_LinuxCluster"
#SYSTYPE="RZG_LinuxCluster-gcc"
#SYSTYPE="OpteronMPA"
#SYSTYPE="OPA-Cluster32"
#SYSTYPE="OPA-Cluster64"

#--------------------------------------- Adjust settings for target computer

ifeq ($(SYSTYPE),"trina")
CC       =  mpicc
OPTIMIZE =  -O3 -Wall
GSL_INCL = -I/usr/local/include
GSL_LIBS = -L/usr/local/lib
FFTW_INCL= -I/usr/local/include
FFTW_LIBS= -L/usr/local/lib
MPICHLIB = -L/usr/lib
endif

and sorry for spaming the yt list with Gadget2 stuff.
thanks
Turhan