[yt-users] Using multiple colormaps in projection_plot

Gabriel Goodwin ggoodwin52 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 09:10:12 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I have a question regarding projection plot colormaps that maybe someone
can answer. I plot temperature data for combustion simulations, with
temperature in the flame ranging from 3200K - 5500K and temperature outside
of the flame ranging from 300K to 1000K. I want to generate projection
plots using two different colormaps, one for the flame and one for outside
of it.

I have been using kamae_r for the whole range 300 – 5500, but I lose
resolution in both the flame and unburned gas regions because of the large
range of my colorscale. Since none of my computational cells have a
temperature in the intermediate region, 1000 – 3200, I want to make plots
with two separate colormaps, or one colormap that combines two fully
resolved colormaps for those temperature intervals, to show my data more
clearly.

I have been playing around with making a custom colormap by working
directly with matplotlib (using the LinearSegmentedColormap function), but
it is very difficult to get the resolution correct when setting the color
intervals and interpolation by hand.

Any advice is appreciated!