[yt-users] Using multiple colormaps in projection_plot

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 10:00:21 PDT 2015

Hi Gabriel,

I introduced the ability to make customized colormaps in yt a few months
back in the development branch.  You should be able to make a custom
colormap that just covers the linear range of 300-1000 with something like
one colormap and then 3200-5500 with another colormap custom colormap.  See
the docs here:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/visualizing/colormaps/index.html

Cameron

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Gabriel Goodwin <ggoodwin52 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a question regarding projection plot colormaps that maybe someone
> can answer. I plot temperature data for combustion simulations, with
> temperature in the flame ranging from 3200K - 5500K and temperature outside
> of the flame ranging from 300K to 1000K. I want to generate projection
> plots using two different colormaps, one for the flame and one for outside
> of it.
>

> I have been using kamae_r for the whole range 300 – 5500, but I lose
> resolution in both the flame and unburned gas regions because of the large
> range of my colorscale. Since none of my computational cells have a
> temperature in the intermediate region, 1000 – 3200, I want to make plots
> with two separate colormaps, or one colormap that combines two fully
> resolved colormaps for those temperature intervals, to show my data more
> clearly.
>

> I have been playing around with making a custom colormap by working
> directly with matplotlib (using the LinearSegmentedColormap function), but
> it is very difficult to get the resolution correct when setting the color
> intervals and interpolation by hand.
>

> Any advice is appreciated!

Cameron Hummels
Postdoctoral Researcher