[yt-users] Streamlines for FLASH in yt

Mikhail Klassen klassm at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 30 18:30:19 PDT 2015

I'm trying to plot 3D streamlines from a FLASH (v.4) dataset. I've based my
streamlines script off the version presented on the yt-project.org website.

I consistently get an error about going up the ghost cells in my volume.
The error message is:

RuntimeError: Error: yt attempted to read outside the boundaries of a
> non-periodic domain along dimension 0.
> Region left edge = -3e+18 code_length, Region right edge = 4.5e+18
> code_length
> Dataset left edge = 0.0 code_length, Dataset right edge = 1.2e+19
> code_length
> This commonly happens when trying to compute ghost cells up to the domain
> boundary. Two possible solutions are to load a smaller region that does not
> border the edge or override the periodicity for this dataset.

My FLASH datasets have x/y/zmin = 0.0 and x/y/zmax 1.2e19 cm.

I seems like yt is trying to read outside my domain, or is bumping up
against the guardcells and I have no idea how to prevent it from doing
this. I have tried inspecting the code for an obvious solution. A very
similar error shows up when I try to make 1D profiles of the entire dataset
(dd = ds.all_data()).

is it possible that yt doesn't support volumes where the (0,0,0) coordinate
is a corner of the volume? Any easy solution to the above issue?

Thanks,
Mikhail