[yt-users] Particle filters and subsequent particle deposition

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 00:52:40 PDT 2014

Hi John,

That is what I figured as well, but it doesn't appear to automatically
create those deposit fields when you add the particle field after
initialization of the dataset.  Yes, it creates other deposit fields for
the particle namespaces (e.g. Gas, Stars, DarkMatter) that are defined at
initialization. However, when I create a particle filter which makes its
own set of fields after initialization, these are not automatically added
as deposit fields.

I can add a notebook demonstrating this if it is easier.  I just thought
someone might know of a way to force the generation of the deposit fields
for newly derived fields not generated at initialization of a dataset.

Cameron

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM, John Wise <jwise at physics.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Hi Cameron,
>
> If the particle filter name is called "bh", you can use the field
> ("deposit", "bh_cic").  You can also use the other deposit fields, like
> "bh_count", "bh_density", "bh_mass".
>
> Cheers,
> John
>

> On 07/11/2014 08:16 PM, Cameron Hummels wrote:
>
>> I'm playing with the new particle filter functionality in yt-3.0, but
>> I'm running into some problems.  I can successfully create a particle
>> filter, but how do I get those fields to be subsequently deposited on
>> the grid (like the other fields in the "deposit" namespace)?
>>
>> Is there a command for forcing a particle field deposition on to the grid?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cameron
>>

>> --
>> Cameron Hummels
>> Postdoctoral Researcher
>> Steward Observatory
>> University of Arizona
>> http://chummels.org

> John Wise
> Assistant Professor of Physics
> Center for Relativistic Astrophysics, Georgia Tech
> http://cosmo.gatech.edu

Cameron Hummels
Postdoctoral Researcher
Steward Observatory