[yt-users] Porting .ply files to Blender with colors?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 03:04:33 PST 2013

Hi Jill,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Jill P. Naiman <jnaiman at ucolick.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was curious if anyone has had any luck porting .ply files generated with
> yt into Blender with colors?  It seems to port in the surfaces just fine,
> but they are a uniform color.  From what I can gather, Blender imports .ply
> files with face color instead of vertex so I tried the
> surf.export_ply routine with "face" instead of "vertex" for sample_type, but
> no luck ("vertex" doesn't work either).

I haven't actually been able to do this.  One issue I ran into with
PLY export is that the file format has a lot of semi-defined
standards, and I don't know precisely the "right" way to do them.

Looking at this message: http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12262

Suggests that a header format of this type *might* work:

ply
format ascii 1.0
element vertex 24
property float x
property float y
property float z
property uchar red
property uchar green
property uchar blue
element face 6
property list uchar int vertex_indices
end_header

But we use format binary.  Does that roughly line up with the header
of the exported .ply files you're working with, other than the vertex
count and the binary/ascii difference?

-Matt