[yt-users] Porting .ply files to Blender with colors?

Jill P. Naiman jnaiman at ucolick.org
Sun Feb 24 22:43:49 PST 2013

Hi Matt,

I've tried a few different things with PLY files and no luck.  Actually,
I'm not
100% sure if Blender really likes PLY files anyway - you can't even export
color easily in PLY format in Blender.  So, I've given up on PLY and have
hacked together a bit of a messy OBJ exporter:
http://paste.yt-project.org/show/3205/

I'm probably doing the colors wrong, since there's likely a nicer way to
get actual "face" values then just taking the value at 1/3 of the vertex
values, but it worked, so I didn't mess with it too much.

A few other things: (1) in theory, this can set transparencies, but I
haven't got that working as of yet, (2) the default specular (ambient?)
color settings make for a bit of a washed-out view in sketchfab:
http://skfb.ly/54jged0b, (3) the .mtl file is a bit too long since I'm
essentially setting each face as a different material, when one would just
like to use 1 material per color and set all the faces with that color on
a specific
surface plot to that material, but I haven't got that bit working well
either.

Thanks for the info, and please let me know if any of that doesn't make
sense.
-Jill