[yt-users] Crashing PDFs and Login screen after Yt installation

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:21:37 PDT 2012

Hi Nathan and Hector,

I'm sorry for your trouble!

I suspect that what happened wasn't that yt overwrote any files.  I
think it only installed new files, but what ended up happening is that
Ubuntu searches /usr/local *first*, and then searches the rest of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  So in doing so, it hit an incompatible libpng (which
we should update anyway) and which then killed theo ther stuff.  I
suspect the contents of /usr/local could have been wiped and it would
have been okay.

I've issues a pull request with some fixes to the install script that will:

 * Tell you which packages you need to install on Ubuntu
 * Refuse to install in /usr/local
 * Refuse to run as sudo

I think this should cover these use cases.

Again, I'm sorry this caused you any troubles.  Hopefully we can work
them out!  And, thanks for bringing them to our attention.  It stinks
that this happened, but I think we can try to make sure it doesn't
happen again to you or anybody else.

-Matt