[Yt-dev] Request for review of "minimal image" structure

Cameron Hummels chummels at astro.columbia.edu
Tue May 3 14:48:08 PDT 2011

Agreed.  Matplotlib has a lot of functionality behind it.  I've been
getting terribly mixed up over the last couple weeks trying to put
together figures using different methods--some matplotlib, some not.
Sticking with one official method seems like the best plan and easier
from our perspective too.

Cameron

On 05/03/2011 05:41 PM, Britton Smith wrote:
> I think Jeff's right about keeping a mapping to matplotlib.  We get
> into trouble when we try to have our own system for setting fonts,
> labels, etc.  If we can just hand the user back a figure or an axes
> object with their image inside of it, then people can do whatever they
> want with it using all the stuff matplotlib has to offer.
>
> Britton
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM, j s oishi <jsoishi at gmail.com
> <mailto:jsoishi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Matt,
>
>     One thing to think very hard about is that reason *must* be able to
>     generate publication quality plots. Of course, this is *very* hard,
>     and we don't need our minimal image system to handle that. One way
>     toward doing that is to make sure the system has a direct mapping to
>     matplotlib for publication quality plots. If we do that, then we
>     maintain the system for putting things over the wire to Reason, but we
>     can always generate a more beautiful eps/pdf for publication when
>     necessary.

>     On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:57 AM, Matthew Turk
>     <matthewturk at gmail.com <mailto:matthewturk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > I've been thinking about the best way to construct minimal image
>     > representations, which feed into the Reason / plotting refactor
>     ideas.
>     >  I started sketching out a minimally-reproducible phase plot in
>     > yt/visualization/profile_plotter.py, in the objects
>     >
>     > AxisSpec
>     > ColorbarSpec
>     > ImagePlotContainer
>     >
>     > I think that as it stands it encompasses how to save and then
>     recreate
>     > a (simply) visualization, but I was wondering if some other people
>     > could look that over, and help me come up with ideas for what
>     would be
>     > necessary to also make sure it faithfully represents image plots, 1D
>     > line plots, and so on.  IT doesn't need to cover all possibilities,
>     > just the basic ones.
>     >
>     > Anyway, ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
>     >
>     > -Matt
>     > Yt-dev mailing list
>     > Yt-dev at lists.spacepope.org <mailto:Yt-dev at lists.spacepope.org>
>     >

Cameron Hummels
PhD Candidate, Astronomy Department of Columbia University
Public Outreach Director, Astronomy Department of Columbia University
NASA IYA New York State Student Ambassador
http://outreach.astro.columbia.edu
PGP: 0x06F886E3