[Yt-dev] Request for review of "minimal image" structure

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:06:18 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Okay -- sorry, I should have been clearer.  I don't want to *replace*
Matplotlib, I want to have something that can map to matplotlib or
reason or whatever, and that can be stored and pickled in between
sessions.

I think the idea was to come up with a small subset of things that
could describe, from yt's perspective, all that
yt-with-access-to-raw-data can provide, and then let the user (later
on, when without access to the raw data) load this back in, map it
either to reason or to a matplotlib plot, and then make their tweaks
to it.  THe idea is to make it empowering for the user to get a little
bit of something, tweak it, make their figure, and be done.  And they
shouldn't need access to a 35GB dataset to do this.  Right now, that
kind of disconnected plot preparation is difficult.

And it kind of sounds like we're in agreement that this is a good
start, and hits a number of the bases?  Is there anything else we'd
want, from yt's perspective, to dump into an "image plot" object?

Thanks a ton for your feedback!

-Matt