[Yt-dev] yt fof question

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 11:05:23 PDT 2009

Ok, call off the troops.  It looks like we made a bit of a mistake over
here.  After checking two particles lists made on the same data with yt FOF
and inline FOF, we've found that the particle lists are actually nearly
identical.  The only difference is that yt FOF is completely missing 4 small
(~600 particles for a 128^3 sim) halos that are found by the inline FOF.  We
still don't know what is the cause of this.  Making a projection of the
position where the inline FOF finds one of these missing halos, it looks
like there might be something there, but it's pretty marginal given the size
of the halo.

Anyway, I would say it's safe to return to Defcon 5.  I apologize for
causing a fuss and wasting people's time.  We should have looked a little
more carefully at the issue.  We're still working out some issues over here,
but I don't think they involve the halo finders.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Britton