[yt-users] inconsistent backend when using yt interactively

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 14:43:37 PST 2017

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Slavin, Jonathan <jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> ​Thanks Nathan.  In fact since sending that message I discovered that it's
> a simple typo in​
>
> ​base_plot_types.py under​ the visualization directory. qt5agg had been
> typed as gt5agg.
>
> On a related subject, I thought that after doing yt.toggle_interactivity()
> yt would then send output to a plotting window in the same way that using
> matplotlib in ipython does.  But, at least for me, that doesn't happen. Is
> the interactivity only for jupyter notebooks?

Nope, it should be generating a matplotlib interactive plot window. How did
you create the plot? Did you explicitly call plot.show()? I just tried with
the following script and the QT5 backend and I got an interactive plot
window:

    %matplotlib qt
    import yt
    yt.toggle_interactivity()
    ds = yt.load('IsolatedGalaxy/galaxy0030/galaxy0030')
    plot = yt.SlicePlot(ds, 2, 'density')
    plot.show()

This is a new, somewhat experimental feature so it's possible there's some
issues still.