[yt-users] Volume cutout

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 10:36:21 PDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Daniel Fenn <dsfenn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working with data on a cubic domain, and I'd like to be able to
> visualize the whole 3D domain with one octant cut out.
>
> What I'm looking for is similar to VisIt's clipping functionality. I don't
> really need a real volume render with opacity--rather, I'd like pseudocolor
> planes showing the boundaries of the domain, but cut out in one octant so
> that the interior is visible. The visible interior portion would then be
> defined by a set of orthogonal pseudocolor planes marking the interior
> boundaries of the desired quadrant.
>
> Is there a straightforward way to achieve this using yt? I'd appreciate
> any suggestions.

Hi Dan,

Not right now no.

That said, you might be able to use Matt's boolean data objects
implentation and an off-axis projection to accomplish this:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2257

That pull request is still marked work-in-progress, but you should be able
to pull it in locally and try it out. You might need to merge it with the
latest development head to get bugfixes and new features that have gone in
since Matt proposed that pull request.

-Nathan