[yt-users] Gadget velocity question

Jared Coughlin Jared.W.Coughlin.29 at nd.edu
Mon Oct 17 13:20:28 PDT 2016

Hello! Just a quick question about the gadget velocities. For cosmological
simulations, the default gadget snapshot does not actually contain the
peculiar velocities v_pec, but, rather, the quantity u, where v_pec = u *
sqrt(a), and a is the scale factor. My question is this: When I do:

ds = yt.load("snapshot")

and then access the velocity field, is yt giving me u or v_pec? That is, is
yt doing the conversion from u to v_pec behind the scenes or not? I tried
looking in the source code to find some conversion, but I didn't really
know where to look.  Thanks!
-Jared