[yt-users] Problem using covering_grid as data_source for the photon_simulator

John Zuhone jzuhone at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:44:56 PDT 2016

Hi Markus,

ds.ortho_ray should work?

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/reference/api/generated/yt.data_objects.selection_data_containers.YTOrthoRay.html#yt.data_objects.selection_data_containers.YTOrthoRay <http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/reference/api/generated/yt.data_objects.selection_data_containers.YTOrthoRay.html#yt.data_objects.selection_data_containers.YTOrthoRay>

But as a warning see:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/faq/index.html#why-are-the-values-in-my-ray-object-out-of-order <http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/faq/index.html#why-are-the-values-in-my-ray-object-out-of-order>

but that shouldn’t matter for photon_simulator, I don’t think.

BTW, since you use this module a lot, I should probably point out here that there will be no further development of photon_simulator in yt as it is now being transitioned into a new package, pyXSIM:

http://bitbucket.org/jzuhone/pyxsim <http://bitbucket.org/jzuhone/pyxsim>

which is stable now but doesn’t have adequate documentation for me to have an official release. It will be the same software as the yt version with some minor adjustments. If you want to try it, mail me off-list and I can tell you how to install it and how to re-write your script to work with it.

The version currently in yt will stay there for the time being, so no need to worry, but I will not be updating it unless there are bug reports.

Best,

John

> On May 25, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Markus Haider <markus.haider at uibk.ac.at> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for your fast reply. So generally we are trying to make a mock spectrum of a galaxy cluster around the iron line. I enclosed the script I use, but maybe it is not of a big help as I just started doing this. You are probably right that I should youse ds.region. What I wanted to do is selecting a line of sight which is only one cell wide (native resolution of the simulation) but e.g. 1 Mpc deep.
>
> Cheers,
> Markus
>
> On 2016-05-25 18:28, John Zuhone wrote:
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>> Can you send a script so I can figure out what you are trying to do exactly?
>>
>> You probably need ds.region, but if you send a script I will know for sure.
>>
>> John Z
>>
>> Sent from my iPod
>>
>>> On May 25, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Markus Haider <markus.haider at uibk.ac.at> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to use the photon simulator for mock x-ray observations on single cells and line of sights using single cells. For this I wanted to select the cells using covering_grid, but then I get the following error:
>>>
>>> photon_simulator.py is doing
>>> delta_min, delta_max = data_source.quantities.extrema("d%s"%ax)
>>> and the result is
>>> YTDataSelectorNotImplemented: Data selector 'covering_grid' not implemented.
>>>
>>> But maybe covering_grid is not the right thing for what I had in mind, how would you select the cells to pass as data_source to the photon simulator?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Markus