[yt-users] ZEUS support by means of the GDF format, almost completed but...

Kacper Kowalik xarthisius.kk at gmail.com
Mon May 9 07:39:27 PDT 2016

On 05/09/2016 07:06 AM, Andrea Negri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the interface between zeus and yt is almost completed. This is a first
> version, and it not efficient, since it requires interpolation on
> different grids. However, it is a starting point.
>
> I still have a major issue: my handmade code to interpolate ZEUS data
> on a series of grids seems to work well. However, in yt I'm not able
> to plot the entire r grid, but just the first patch (the most internal
> one). I don't know how the GDF handle the AMR grid, I just explored
> the data I have found on this page  http://yt-project.org/data/
>
> Can anyone help me? In attachment you will find all my scripts, plus
> data and a README. You should be able to see the problem from the
> picture produced by the script.
>

> Many thanks,
> Andrea

Hi Andrea,
there are a couple issues that I identified:
 * grid levels are inverted (0 - should be coarsest, 15 - finest)
 * domain_dimensions should be equal to (domain_right_edge -
domain_left_edge) / dx, where dx is a cell size of the coarsest level
 * grid_left_index is the index of the first cell the grid would have if
it was placed in uniform arrays spanning on the whole level, roughly:
  dx = (grid_RE - grid_LE) / grid_dims
  grid_left_index = (grid_LE - domain_LE) / dx

Having said all that, I don't think you'd be able to utilize GDF for
your data set. You have adaptive refinement only in a one direction. The
best I got (still something wrong with indices) is this:

https://images.hub.yt/u/fido/m/27156214-png/

I think currently the only way to load your data would be to use:

http://yt-project.org/doc/examining/loading_data.html#semi-structured-grid-data

Cheers,
Kacper