[yt-users] Installing yt on Xsede Smic and Comet

Yuan Li yuan at astro.columbia.edu
Wed Jun 15 11:42:58 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I am having trouble installing/running the latest yt on Xsede Smic and
Comet clusters. I used to have yt3 on both machines and they were working
fine. Recently, after failing to update yt, I decided to delete the old one
and install the latest version. I am using the unmodified file from
http://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/raw/yt/doc/install_script.sh

Here are the problems I have:
*On Smic*
When I do "yt update" on the login node, or when I try to submit a yt job,
I get this error message
ValueError: numpy.dtype has the wrong size, try recompiling

I have seen this error message before and fixed it somehow, but I do not
remember how...

*On Comet*
When I do "yt update", I get this error message:
YT site-packages not in path, so you must
update this installation manually by committing and
merging your modifications to the code before
updating to the newest changeset.

I manually set YT_DEST in my bash_profile, but that does not seem to help.
I can however submit a yt job and it will run fine, but not in parallel.
Before I reinstalled yt, I was able to run yt3 in parallel on Comet after

Also, when I do
"source ~/source/yt-conda/bin/activate" I get this error message:
Error: no environment provided.
and it seems that I do not even need to activate yt anymore (is it because
I have "export PATH=/home/yuanli/source/yt-conda/bin:$PATH" in my
bash_profile?). Maybe I missed something in the doc. I am very confused.

Thanks in advance!
Yuan