[yt-users] yt parallelism with mpi4py at OLCF

Max Katz maxpkatz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 09:28:54 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm trying to get yt parallelism enabled to run on the visualization
cluster at OLCF. I am using a conda environment for the yt prerequisites
but I have the development branch of yt installed from source. To get the
parallelism working I tried installing mpi4py both using pip and building
it from source (with the latter, explicitly telling it that the MPI-enabled
C compiler is the wrapper cc). However, the statement "from mpi4py import
MPI" that yt uses to initialize the session fails with:

>>> from mpi4py import MPI
[Sun Jul 17 03:52:10 2016] [unknown] Fatal error in PMPI_Init_thread: Other
MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(547):
MPID_Init(203).......: channel initialization failed
MPID_Init(584).......:  PMI2 init failed: 1
Aborted

Some googling suggests that this is potentially an issue specific to the
way Cray sets up their MPI installation. At any rate, although this is not
necessarily a yt-specific issue, if anyone has relevant experience or knows
a workaround, please let me know, thanks!

Max Katz
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Physics and Astronomy
Stony Brook University
http://astro.sunysb.edu/mkatz/