[yt-users] installation error

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 08:45:56 PDT 2015

So it looks like the version of OpenSSL on the machine you're trying to
build yt on is out of date. Python 2.7.9 and newer will refuse to link
against out of date versions of OpenSSL for security reasons (since these
versions of OpenSSL are susceptible to the POODLE downgrade attack).

You have two options:

1. Update the OpenSSL package to a secure version, if you are able to. This
is really the preferred option since e.g. web browsing on this machine is
likely insecure.

2. If you have no control over OS updates, you can set up yt using the
Anaconda installation instructions. Since conda bundles its own version of
OpenSSL you can sidestep this issue. See here:

http://yt-project.org/doc/installing.html#installing-yt-using-anaconda

Hope that helps!

-Nathan

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Carla Carroll <carla.j.bernhardt at gmail.com