[yt-users] Error updating yt3.1 to yt.3.2.1

Joshua Wall joshua.e.wall at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 08:25:34 PDT 2015

Dear YT users,

I have yt installed with pip, and it reports being version 3.1. However I'd
like to use the new particle plot function, so I tried updating it with

sudo pip install -U yt

and got the error:

Downloading/unpacking yt from
https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/y/yt/yt-3.2.1.tar.gz#md5=5cda4af043d4a9fd557877bfbb29b3e2
Downloading from URL
https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/y/yt/yt-3.2.1.tar.gz#md5=5cda4af043d4a9fd557877bfbb29b3e2

Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/yt/setup.py) egg_info for
package yt

Cython is a build-time requirement for the source tree of yt.

Please either install yt from a provided, release tarball, or install
Cython (version 0.22 or higher).

You may be able to accomplish this by typing: pip install -U Cython

So I did this. Then I checked Cython with cython --version, it reports
version 0.23.2,
but the same yt install error remains when I attempt an update. I'm
guessing there is something I need to refresh, but I'm unsure of how to do
this.

Thanks for the assistance,

Josh

--