[yt-users] install/compile error

Kacper Kowalik xarthisius.kk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:25:44 PDT 2015

On 09/14/2015 05:58 PM, Alexander Heger wrote:
> Dear Matt,
>
> this installation was not from the latest sources off mercurial, but
> just using python's (3.5) pip to install packages directly off the
> web.  Usually this goes in just one command w/o extra opportunities
> for configuration.
>
> I have not tried to do it manually from source.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best wishes,
> Alexander

Dear Alexander,
I've just verified that yt works fine with fedora22's native python3 and
all deps installed via dnf

[root at 88cfea466613 yt]# python3
Python 3.4.2 (default, Jul  9 2015, 17:24:30)
[GCC 5.1.1 20150618 (Red Hat 5.1.1-4)] on linux
 >>> import yt
 >>> yt.__version__
'3.2.1'

It also installs fine using fedora's pip:

[root at 88cfea466613 yt]# pip3.4 install yt
Successfully installed yt-3.2.1

Same when installed via our own install_script.sh:

[fido at 88cfea466613 ~]$ bash /tmp/install_script.sh
  Oh, look at me, still talking when there's science to do!
  Good luck, and email the user list if you run into any problems.

I'm afraid that at this point we don't have enough manpower to support
Python versions released less than 24h ago, but as always: we gladly
accept patches.

As a side note, some of the yt's dependencies are known to *not* support
py3.5: matplotlib for example has fixes only in not yet released 1.5.0,
same goes for astropy judging by the thread on their mailing list. I
haven't checked the others...
Cheers,
Kacper