[yt-users] Covering Grid Dimensions: multiple refinement levels

Carla Bernhardt carla.j.bernhardt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 06:10:41 PST 2015

Dear YT Users,

To better understand covering_grid (or smoothed_covering_grid), can someone
explain what dimensions I should use when I have multiple levels of
refinement? If I have 1 level of refinement from AMR data, the dimensions
should be the same, I believe, but what if I have 2 or 3 levels of
refinement? Should the fixed resolution region then have dimensions of
dims*2^2 and dims*3^2 respectively?

Here is one example from a tutorial
<http://yt-project.org/doc/examining/low_level_inspection.html#examining-grid-data-in-a-fixed-resolution-array>
if that helps isolate my question:
all_data_level_2 = ds.covering_grid(level=2, left_edge=[0,0.0,0.0],
                                      dims=ds.domain_dimensions * 2**2)

Thanks in advance,
Carla