[yt-users] volume rendering Enzo data

Dave Semeraro semeraro at tacc.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 11 06:35:18 PST 2015

Hi YT,

I have an enormous Enzo file that I want to volume render. It takes way too long to render it at full resolution. I have extracted a covering grid and dumped the raw data to a file. Then I read that data into another rendering engine (Boo) and rendered it. What I want to do is volume render it with YT. I generate the covering grid like this:

max_level=1

lowerleft = [0.,0.,0.]
datasetname = "/work/01197/semeraro/Cooldata"

ds = yt.load(datasetname)

cg = ds.covering_grid(max_level,lowerleft,ds.domain_dimensions*2**max_level)

Then I try to do something like this:

min,max = cg.quantities.extrema('Density')

and I get a stack trace ending in

  File "/work/01197/semeraro/maverick/yt-x86_64/src/yt-hg/yt/data_objects/data_containers.py", line 578, in selector
    raise YTDataSelectorNotImplemented(self._type_name)
yt.utilities.exceptions.YTDataSelectorNotImplemented: Data selector 'covering_grid' not implemented.

Obviously I cant do that. So what am I doing wrong here? The idea is to sample the first two levels onto the regular covering grid and volume render that rather than the whole grid. I have tried using parallel volume rendering but there seems to be some problem in collecting the final image as only parts of the whole image appear.

Thanks, Dave