[yt-users] adding quantities to halo catalogs

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:49:01 PDT 2015

Hi Ari,

I suggest something like the following.  First, you need to define a data
container to associate with each halo.  This is usually a sphere, and you
can follow the cookbook recipe for how to do that:
http://yt-project.org/doc/cookbook/cosmological_analysis.html#halo-profiling-and-custom-analysis

If you use the "sphere" callback as the example above shows, it will create
a sphere data container associated with each halo object as:
halo.data_container

Then, assuming you have your cold_gas_mass field, you can just define a
quantity that returns the total of that over the halo's sphere.  The sphere
object is like any other data container, so you can use a derived quantity
to return the total of your field.  It should look something like this:

def _total_cold_gas(halo):
    return halo.data_container.quantities.total_quantity("cold_gas_mass")
add_quantity("total_cold_gas", _total_cold_gas)

Let us know if you encounter any troubles and thanks for pointing out some
places where the docs could use some additions!

Britton

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Professor Maller <amaller at citytech.cuny.edu