[yt-users] YT: Rockstar Halo Finder

Hilary Egan hilaryye at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:14:25 PDT 2015

Hi Jacob,

While I'm not confident in exact numbers in terms of nodes/ppn settings for
your run, I think I can point you in the right direction.

* When I used rockstar to find halos for a 1024^3 unigrid enzo I ran into
similar OOM errors. I eventually got it to work by running on a shared
memory machine (PSC Blacklight to be exact). I'm not sure you're ever going
to be able to run it without a machine that can share memory between nodes,
because of the way rockstar handles keeping the particles in memory
separately from yt.

* You also don't need anywhere near that number of processes. If I can
recall, I think I only used ~16 processes in the end, once I could request
enough memory.

Hope that helps a bit! Sorry the current implementation of rockstar in yt
is a bit of a pain to work with. It's something we've been working on
fixing, so we can keep you posted on when the new infrastructure is ready
for users.

-Hilary