[yt-users] Problem with Rockstar + time series in yt 3.2-dev

Brian O'Shea bwoshea at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 19:31:12 PDT 2015

Hi folks,

I'm having some problems creating a time series of halo catalogs with
Rockstar on a small cosmology run, using the tip of yt 3.2-dev
(changeset a2b03516ed2c) with mpi4py v1.3.1 (and OpenMPI v1.4.3) installed
on a local Linux cluster.

I'm pretty confident that it has something specifically to do with a time
series. When I use this script to call rockstar on a single dataset:

    http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5586/

with this command line:

    mpirun -np 8 --mca btl ^openib python new_rockstar_ts.py --parallel

everything works just fine, and does so for every RDNNNN dataset.  However,
when I uncomment lines 40-44 and comment out lines 47-53 in the same script
(i.e., like this: http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5587/) so that the code
now uses a time series of all of the RDNNNN datasets rather than a single
dataset, and use the same command line, I immediately get a seg fault that
appears to be related to the mpi4py package:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5588/

The datasets that I'm using for the time series can be found here:

http://galactica.pa.msu.edu/~bwoshea/data/datasets/rockstar_timeseries.tar.gz

(total size ~300 MB).

Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

--Brian