[yt-users] Controlling grid deposition method

Brian O'Shea bwoshea at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 12:48:54 PDT 2015

Hi folks,

I'm making a movie of dark matter density from an Enzo simulation, and am
doing so using the arbitrary_grid mechanism.  However, when I'm making the
movies, I get some annoying flickering in the color map at early times.  As
an example, look at the first 3 Gyr or so of this movie (warning: 122 mb):

http://galactica.pa.msu.edu/~bwoshea/data/cosmo_zoom_movies/dm_dens_x_algae.mp4

I am pretty sure that the flickering is due to an unfortunate interplay
between whatever grid deposition is being used by the arbitrary_grid
functionality and a moving image center.  I'd like to test this theory by
forcing the particles to be deposited in a different way - say, by
nearest-grid-point instead of cloud-in-cell.  Is it possible to do this?  I
can't find anything in the documentation that makes it clear how to do this
with the arbitrary_grid mechanism, but on the other hand there are other
places in yt (the particle plotting tools, for example) where one can
specify ngp vs. cic.

Thanks,
Brian

p.s. If anybody's interested, the (hacktacular and ugly) script I'm using
to generate movie frames can be found here:
http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5746/