[yt-users] Particles in FLASH output

Jason Galyardt jason.galyardt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:36:23 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm sure I've just overlooked some bit of documentation, but I'm having
trouble plotting particles generated by FLASH on top of the gas density.
I've been able to load a plot file with the associated particle file via

ds = yt.load(plotfileName, particle_filename=partfileName)

However, when I try to create a projection and annotate the particles with

p = yt.ProjectionPlot(ds, "y", "density")
p.annotate_particles(1.0)                      # ValueError!
# p.annotate_particles((4.0, 'kpc'))         # ValueError!

I get a ValueError from h5py indicating that zero-length selections are not
allowed. I have also tried passing the full width of the simulation domain
to the annotation function without success. I suspect that this is a user
error stemming from differences between the way that Enzo and FLASH store
particle data. However, I can't find much in the way of documentation or
examples for the FLASH particle data format.

Of course, it would also be handy to be able to write my own analysis
scripts using both gas and particles, but for now, I'll settle for any help
I can get on simple plotting functionality.

Thanks,

Jason Galyardt
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Georgia