[yt-users] Using yt to build simulation initial conditions

Stuart Mumford stuart at mumford.me.uk
Mon Jun 30 10:39:29 PDT 2014

Hello,

I have a use case for yt that I do not know if anyone else has encountered
(though somehow I think they might have done!). I need to build background
conditions for my code, this for me entails complex stratified density and
magnetic field geometry see this:
http://labs.adsabs.harvard.edu/adsabs/abs/2013MNRAS.435..689G/ to get an
idea of the problem.

The yt derived field and other abstractions would make doing this much
easier, however I don't know if there is a framework for creating base
fields in yt in memory and then computing derived fields based on those and
then saving a mix of input fields and derived fields to disk?
To make this more complex I have some weird save out requirements, so being
able to change array order and do mpi decomposition at save time would be
very useful.

Any suggestions or people telling me that this is obvious are welcome :)

Thanks
Stuart