[yt-users] Mass Flux Across Surface Binned By Velocity

Melinda Soares-Furtado msoares.physics at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:19:40 PDT 2014

Hello, folks. I have a code that is computing the flux across a sphere of a
given radius, as shown below. This code provides me with the summed flux
across the surface, however what I am hoping to do is to bin this flux up
into various velocities ranging from v_min to v_max. Thus, determine the
mass flux across the surface for a chosen velocity bin.

Does anyone know of a simple way to read out flux for a given velocity
(normal to the surface) rather than the summed total?

Code:

from yt.mods import *
pf=load("/trove/msoares/50Stars_LRefine5_Derefine0.05_velocity/50Stars_hdf5_plt_cnt_0200")
rad=0.1/pf['pc']
sp = pf.h.sphere([0,0,0],2.0*rad)
surf = pf.h.surface(sp,"Radius",rad)
flux = surf.calculate_flux("x-velocity","y-velocity","z-velocity","Density")
print flux

Regards,
Melinda Soares-Furtado