[yt-users] Surface plot from FITS data cube

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 14:31:14 PST 2014

Hi Mairan,

Welcome to yt!  We're trying to make yt more accessible to observers, so
it's great that you want to try us out.

You can follow the information in the docs on how to load in FITS data (it
seems like you've already got that working OK) here:
http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/examining/generic_array_data.html#FITS-image-data

You can then follow along on how to generate Volume Renderings of your data
here:
http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/examining/generic_array_data.html#Volume-Rendering-Loaded-Data

Or alternatively use The Cookbook to get an idea of what you can do with
your data at this point:
http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/cookbook/index.html

I hope this helps get you started!

Cameron

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Mairan Teodoro <mairan.teodoro at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi yt-users!
>
> I'm new to yt and Python (I'm an IDL guy).
>
> Currently, I'm using VisIt to visualize my FITS data cube. However, since
> I'm wandering through the fields of Python, I would really like to use yt
> as my default visualization tool.
>
> Having said that, I would like to ask if somebody out there has some piece
> of code to read a FITS data cube into a Python array (I know how to do this
> already) and use yt to visualize it and make iso-surface plots (like the
> ones I've attached to this message). I went through the yt manual examples
> (especially the volume plot sections) but all I've got was some kind of
> blurred blotch (see figure "UniformGridData_volume_rendered.png").
>
> Any help would be very appreciated.
>
> Best regards!
> m.
>
> --