[yt-users] HDF5 output from Carpet (Cactus/Eintein toolkit) output

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Wed Dec 10 11:16:53 PST 2014

Dumsani, yt handles fluid fields just fine, and is used for many AMR hydro
codes.  There is not a frontend in yt for Cactus as best as I can see, so
one would need to be written.  There are some docs up online:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/developing/creating_frontend.html

and some of the frontends use HDF5, so you should be able to copy from one
of those.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Dumsani Ndzinisa <g14n8326 at campus.ru.ac.za
> wrote:

>     Hi All,
>     I have just learned about yt for large data visualization and analysis.
>     It looks like such a wonderful package for getting things done in a
>     quicker and very high quality kind of manner.
>     Hence, I wish to employ the package to work with data from an
>     outputting code called Carpet(http://www.carpetcode.org) built on
>     top of another code called Cactus (for computational astrophysics
>     simulations, e.g. merging black holes or neutron stars). Carpet
>     also performs some adaptive mesh refinement in Cactus, as well
>     as parallelization tasks (along with handling the I/O tasks). All these
>     (cactus and Carpet) are part of a community-based code known
>     as the Einstein Toolkit.
>     Usually, one would be interested in creating some array of
>     color-map snap-shots of 2D (2 spatial dimensions, plus the
>     actual physical quantity) quantities from the resulting
>     simulation data. Sometimes, such snap-shots could be
>     meant to compare a certain quantity from various simulations.
>     My general impression so far, however, is that the package
>     seems be oriented towards systems that involve 'particles',
>     like galaxies or similar bodies. Would it support the kind of
>     data I'm working with (the 2D/3D scalars on refined grids,
>     vectors, etc)? Or, would I need to try and extend yt to
>     read/load my kind of data? Two output formats are possible
>     from my simulations: HDF5 (CarpetIOHDF5, an adaptation of
>     standard HDF5), and ASCII formats. I would prefer advice on
>     the use of HDF5 though.
>         Your advice will be highly appreciated.
>         Kind regards
>     Dumsani

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale