[yt-users] HDF5 output from Carpet (Cactus/Eintein toolkit) output

Dumsani Ndzinisa g14n8326 at campus.ru.ac.za
Wed Dec 10 09:23:56 PST 2014

     Hi All,
     I have just learned about yt for large data visualization and analysis.
     It looks like such a wonderful package for getting things done in a
     quicker and very high quality kind of manner.
     Hence, I wish to employ the package to work with data from an
     outputting code called Carpet(http://www.carpetcode.org) built on
     top of another code called Cactus (for computational astrophysics
     simulations, e.g. merging black holes or neutron stars). Carpet
     also performs some adaptive mesh refinement in Cactus, as well
     as parallelization tasks (along with handling the I/O tasks). All these
     (cactus and Carpet) are part of a community-based code known
     as the Einstein Toolkit.
     Usually, one would be interested in creating some array of
     color-map snap-shots of 2D (2 spatial dimensions, plus the
     actual physical quantity) quantities from the resulting
     simulation data. Sometimes, such snap-shots could be
     meant to compare a certain quantity from various simulations.
     My general impression so far, however, is that the package
     seems be oriented towards systems that involve 'particles',
     like galaxies or similar bodies. Would it support the kind of
     data I'm working with (the 2D/3D scalars on refined grids,
     vectors, etc)? Or, would I need to try and extend yt to
     read/load my kind of data? Two output formats are possible
     from my simulations: HDF5 (CarpetIOHDF5, an adaptation of
     standard HDF5), and ASCII formats. I would prefer advice on
     the use of HDF5 though.

     Your advice will be highly appreciated.

     Kind regards
     Dumsani