[yt-users] Plotting 1D data

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Tue Aug 19 09:36:23 PDT 2014

I just did the following (after using the patch to BoxLib 1-d data) here:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/1153/fixe-to-boxlib-geometry-read/diff

import yt

ds = yt.load("sod_x_plt00032")
dd = ds.all_data()

import numpy as np
x = dd["x"]
ix = np.argsort(x)

import pylab
pylab.plot(x[ix], dd["density"][ix])
pylab.savefig("test.png")

and this gave me a nice plot of the 1-d data.  This is using the latest
development version of yt.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 4:39 AM, Hao Wang <hwang.phy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to plot the density profile of a 1D simulation, but can't find
> any instruction on how to do this.
>
> I tried ray=pf.h.ortho_ray(0,[ord1,ord2]) with several different ord1 and
> ord2, including [0.5, 0.5]; while "ray['x']" returns an array of values,
> "ray[FieldName]" (where FieldName can be Density, TotalEnergy, GasEnergy,
> etc) returns nothing but "YTArray([],dtype=float 64) (dimensionless)".
>
> Using ortho_ray on the 2D simulation of the same problem gives correct
> answer. Also, the "all_data" and "sphere" object do not work for 1D (they
> work for 2D, too).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hao

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale