[yt-users] Making volume rendering interactive

Irwin Zaid irwin at speckletechnologies.com
Sun Apr 20 16:05:05 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user to yt (which looks amazing, by the way), and have a
question about volume rendering...

What I'd like to do is have interactive volume rendering, like what is
in VTK. In VTK, you can use the mouse to pan, zoom, and dolly. From what
I can see, this isn't directly possible with yt currently. Is that correct?

Assuming that is correct, I'd be happy to write my own interactive
navigator using matplotlib. However, I'd need to be able to map a (i, j)
pixel from the 2D image output from camera.snapshot to an (x, y, z)
position in the volume. Is there a way to do this without too much
effort? I see there is a method called 'project_to_plane' in camera,
which seems like it might do the inverse of that...

Relatedly, I was told on IRC that there is a new camera interface in the
works (http://ytep.readthedocs.org/en/latest/YTEPs/YTEP-0010.html). Is
there a branch for this somewhere? Does it need contributors? It is
going to be interactive in the above sense?

Thanks for your help!

Irwin