[yt-users] yt-3.0 vs/and yt-2.5 for ramses simulation

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 05:55:13 PDT 2013

Hi Junhwan,

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Junhwan Choi (최준환)
<choi.junhwan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear yt user,
>
> I have a new project that needs to deal with ramses simulation.
> Since I have used the yt, I would like to keep using yt for my ramses
> project.
> I find that the yt-3.0 supports ramses much better than yt-2.5.x version.

Yup -- in a recent change, I have disabled RAMSES in 2.5.

> Since yt-3.0 is still developed stage, I would like to use both of them
> together.

You may find that 3.0 works well for what you want to do, if your
other work is on Enzo or FLASH.  I would encourage you to try it out.

> Is it possible to have yt-2.5 version and yt-3.0?
> In this case, how can I install both yt?
> (Or you can recommend that simply move on yt-3.0).
> Is there yt-3.0 version of instal_script.sh?

You can do both.  There is a 3.0 version of the install script, but
the simplest way would be to do this in your existing install:

cd $YT_DEST/src/
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt-3.0 yt-3.0-hg
cd yt-3.0-hg
cp -v ../yt-hg/*.cfg .
python2.7 setup.py develop

This will switch your yt installation to that directory.  To get back
to the previous, 2.5 version, you have to then do:

cd $YT_DEST/src/yt-hg
python2.7 setup.py develop

and back to 3.0:

cd $YT_DEST/src/yt-3.0-hg
python2.7 setup.py develop

...but again, it may be completely reasonable to simply do all your
analysis in 3.0.  In fact, it would be very useful to hear about any
problems you run into, particularly as we attempt to migrate
development to yt 3.

> In addition, is there any document or site that explain how to use ramses
> output in yt?

This notebook demonstrates it, but one of the main goals is to make
every operation that works on a dataset work on *all* datasets.  So it
should largely be the same, and any missing functionality is a bug and
should be reported!

https://hub.yt-project.org/nb/5zw7qn

Best,

Matt