[yt-users] Installing yt on stampede

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 12:38:32 PST 2013

As a quick note -- especially for anyone else who is out there --
there are some dangers to running the IPython notebook on shared user
systems.  The biggest one is that *by default*, the IPython notebook
does not have any password protection.

This means that, *by default*, when you run "ipython notebook" on a
shared user system, anyone can connect to it and execute python code
*as you*.

You can create a profile that has a default password, but in the
development branch of yt we've added a convenience function that will
prompt you for a password:

yt notebook

and then spawn the IPython notebook with this password.  There's also
a way to store the sha hash of this in ~/.yt/config so you only have
to type it once.  This only uses the built-in IPython password
functionality and provides a convenience wrapper around it.  In the
future, we're going to expose more and more functionality of yt
through the notebook, and this will all be through the command "yt
notebook".

-Matt