[yt-users] Install yt in oak ridge system with system python package

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 05:52:41 PST 2013

Hi Junhwan,

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Junhwan Choi (최준환)
<choi.junhwan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Matt,
>
> I try to use the system python package in lens after loading the
> required module.
> In the yt directory I downloaded, I did "python setup.py build" and I
> got following error message.
> ========
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 9, in <module>
>     import setuptools
> ImportError: No module named setuptools
> ========
> This error message is related with package installation and arises one issue.
> If I use the system python package for yt, can I install yt on the
> system python?

You can't install it globally, so you'll probably need to build it
locally and insert that into your Python path.  You can do this by
running:

python2.7 setup.py build_ext -i

and then adding the current directory to PYTHONPATH.  There may be
more subtleties that I don't know of just yet.  The error you're
getting is a tricky one that I don't know how to get around.  Maybe we
should communicate off-list, come up with a solution and then come
back to the list.

> In order to install yt on the system python, I need to write the yt
> link on the lib/site-package in the system python that is usually
> prohibited as general user.
> What can I on this circumstance?

You can install it into a local directory.

Maybe we should talk to consultants -- it may be worthwhile to build a
static Python and use that.  My lens account is not yet re-activated,
but should be soon.  I have also recently spent some time streamlining
the static build process for python/yt so I think we can use that.

-Matt