[yt-users] Problems with PhasePlot.

Alessandro Ballone aballone at mpe.mpg.de
Mon Dec 2 04:46:29 PST 2013

Dear all,

I am using yt to analyze my PLUTO simulations and I should say it's a
great analysis and visualization software! Thanks for your great job!

I'll go now to my problems. I just switched to version 2.6 and I started
using the new "PhasePlot" class. Unfortunately, I get strange results. I
include, at the end of the email, links to plots for 2 simulations with
exactly the same initial conditions and setup, but with different
refinement of my grid.
First of all I suggest to focus on the 2 files highref.png and
righthighref.png. The first one has been made with the "PhasePlot" class,
the second one with the old "PlotCollection" method "add_phase_object".
You can see that the former one is rotated and flipped with respect to the
latter one. I checked my data and the correct plot is the one made with
the "deprecated" method!
Furthermore, if you now compare *highref files to *lowref files, you will
be able to see the 2 different simulations. You can notice that the right*
files look the same, apart from the lower part of the plot, where the
result is different due to numerics in my simulations. The other 2 plots
made with PhasePlot (the one without "right" in their names) are instead
inconsistent, with highref being a "stretched" version of lowref.
I am wondering whether this is a problem related to yt's implementation
for PLUTO, but the SlicePlot and ProjectionPlot classes DO work correctly
with it, so I tend to think this is not the case...

One last thing. The "set_zlim" method does not work because it's not defined!

Thanks in advance for your answer and thanks again for yt!

Alessandro

+++++ IMAGES +++++

highref: http://i.imgur.com/ZCOqjzV.png

righthighref: http://i.imgur.com/PSwOIdQ.png