[yt-users] Volume_rendering

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 09:58:05 PDT 2012

Hi Craig,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Craig Stephen Lage <craig.lage at nyu.edu>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have been using the volume_rendering function in yt version 2.2.  I
> recently downloaded the latest version(2.4 I think), and note that this
> function has disappeared.  I have three questions:
>
> (1) Was there a problem with the old volume_rendering function, or is the
> new implementation just more efficient?

The volume_rendering interface was removed in yt 2.3 in favor of the Camera
interface, as it provides much greater functionality.  This took place in a
major refactoring of the volume rendering machinery, since the Camera
interface has been around since yt 1.7, we decided to drop support for the
older volume_rendering.  This also came with lots of performance
improvements.

> (2) Is there an easy way to migrate from the old volume_rendering
> function?  I had spent a fair amount of time confirming that the old
> function did projections in the way that I wanted, and would like to avoid
> repeating this.

Much of the setup is the same.  I haven't looked at an old volume_rendering
script in quite some time, so I can't give too much help on the specifics
of migrating, but please take a look at the current documentation here:
http://yt-project.org/doc/visualizing/volume_rendering.html
and an example script:
http://yt-project.org/doc/cookbook/simple_plots.html#simple-volume-rendering

(3) If I want to download the old version 2.2, is it available?

All versions are still available by using mercurial to update to previous
versions:
hg up yt-2.2
python setup.py install

Alternatively, you may download all versions here:
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/downloads

Hope that helps.  I would strongly encourage you to give the Camera
interface a shot, as it provides lots of improved functionality.

Best,
Sam