[yt-users] curious warning message in parallelHOP

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed May 9 17:23:19 PDT 2012

Hi Geoffrey,

Grepping through the yt codebase, I think the most likely culprit is
that get_memory_usage (which I believe gets called often during
parallel HOP) falls back on calling popen, which results in a fork.  I
think John might have added this.  I am -1 on this being default
behavior, and +1 on changing fallback (by default) to just return 0 if
it can't get memory information from the resource module, and maybe
governing this with a config parameter.  John, what do you think?

-MAtt