[yt-users] curious warning message in parallelHOP

Geoffrey So gsiisg at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:46:30 PDT 2012

I got this warning message when running paralllel HOP, which I guess was
there before but never noticed before because it's close to the top
(usually looking at the bottom of the logs).  I was wondering if there's
anything I need to worry about?

An MPI process has executed an operation involving a call to the
"fork()" system call to create a child process.  Open MPI is currently
operating in a condition that could result in memory corruption or
other system errors; your MPI job may hang, crash, or produce silent
data corruption.  The use of fork() (or system() or other calls that
create child processes) is strongly discouraged.

The process that invoked fork was:

  Local host:          lens51 (PID 6818)
  MPI_COMM_WORLD rank: 323

If you are *absolutely sure* that your application will successfully
and correctly survive a call to fork(), you may disable this warning
by setting the mpi_warn_on_fork MCA parameter to 0.
[lens6:19012] 447 more processes have sent help message
help-mpi-runtime.txt / mpi_init:warn-fork
[lens6:19012] Set MCA parameter "orte_base_help_aggregate" to 0 to see all
help / error messages
[lens6:19012] 32 more processes have sent help message help-mpi-runtime.txt
/ mpi_init:warn-fork
[lens6:19012] 32 more processes have sent help message help-mpi-runtime.txt
/ mpi_init:warn-fork

From
G.S.