[yt-users] yt on cygwin?

Eve Lee elee at cita.utoronto.ca
Sun Jan 22 18:45:21 PST 2012

Hi Nathan and Casey,

I decided to be safe and use direct-booting from USB which seems to work
great! My laptop is not very Linux-friendly so I was a bit hesitant
about trying this method but the newest Ubuntu seems to get along well
with the machine.

Casey, I saw your e-mail after I installed yt through USB but I'll have
to look into using either vmware or installing directly on the machine
if I run out of persistent space. USB method seems to be very slow upon
booting and shut-down but otherwise no problem.

Thank you for the help! :)

Best Regards,

Eve

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 09:08:31 -0800, "Casey W. Stark"
<caseywstark at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Eve.
>
> I had to work on a windows laptop a few years ago, so I know your pain.
> Cygwin is a real headache - never seems to work. There's no real solution
> but to install your favorite linux somehow.
>
> I recommend using a virtual machine and running ubuntu in that. I used
> vmware player before and I thought it worked great
> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/. This way you don't have to reboot
> and you can have access to your normal applications.
>
> The running from USB solution is probably the simplest, and you could go
> all they way and make your system dual boot. That takes some time though.
>
> Those are the three options as far as I know. The VM will be slower than
> the dual boot, but you can use windows in the background if you need that
> for another application. I'm not sure about the performance of the USB,
but
> it's probably the easiest. Good luck!
>
> Best,
> Casey
>

> On Saturday, January 21, 2012, Nathan Goldbaum <goldbaum at ucolick.org>
> wrote:
>> Hi Eve,
>>
>> If you are unable to get python working - unfortunately I can't help
with
> cygwin - you should be able to put a version of linux on a usb disk, boot
> from it, and install yt on the usb disk.  This will noninvasively give
you
> a full unix environment that the yt install script should have no problem
> handling.  This will only work if you have a > 4 GB usb stick, anything
> smaller will probably not have enough space for linux and yt.
>>
>> See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick for
> instructions on creating a bootable ubuntu USB stick.
>>
>> Hope you find a good solution before the workshop!
>>
>> -Nathan
>>
>> On Jan 21, 2012, at 10:00 PM, Eve Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've read that Windows does not support yt but I was wondering if it
was
> in anyway possible under Cygwin. It seems as though I keep having trouble
> at "installing python" with the following error message:
>>>
>>>      0 [main] python 4044
> C:\cygwin\home\Eve\yt\yt-unknown\src\Python-2.7.2\python.exe: *** fatal
> error - unable to remap

\\?\C:\cygwin\home\Eve\yt\yt-unknown\src\Python-2.7.2\build\lib.cygwin-1.7.9-i686-2.7\grp.dll
> to same address as parent: 0x460000 != 0x510000
>>> Stack trace:
>>> Frame     Function  Args
>>> 00289BD8  6102796B  (00289BD8, 00000000, 00000000, 00000000)
>>> 00289EC8  6102796B  (6117EC60, 00008000, 00000000, 61180977)