[yt-users] yt on cygwin?

Casey W. Stark caseywstark at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 09:08:31 PST 2012

Hi Eve.

I had to work on a windows laptop a few years ago, so I know your pain.
Cygwin is a real headache - never seems to work. There's no real solution
but to install your favorite linux somehow.

I recommend using a virtual machine and running ubuntu in that. I used
vmware player before and I thought it worked great
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/. This way you don't have to reboot
and you can have access to your normal applications.

The running from USB solution is probably the simplest, and you could go
all they way and make your system dual boot. That takes some time though.

Those are the three options as far as I know. The VM will be slower than
the dual boot, but you can use windows in the background if you need that
for another application. I'm not sure about the performance of the USB, but
it's probably the easiest. Good luck!

Best,
Casey

On Saturday, January 21, 2012, Nathan Goldbaum <goldbaum at ucolick.org> wrote:
> Hi Eve,
>
> If you are unable to get python working - unfortunately I can't help with
cygwin - you should be able to put a version of linux on a usb disk, boot
from it, and install yt on the usb disk.  This will noninvasively give you
a full unix environment that the yt install script should have no problem
handling.  This will only work if you have a > 4 GB usb stick, anything
smaller will probably not have enough space for linux and yt.

> See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick for
instructions on creating a bootable ubuntu USB stick.

> Hope you find a good solution before the workshop!
>
> -Nathan
>
> On Jan 21, 2012, at 10:00 PM, Eve Lee wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've read that Windows does not support yt but I was wondering if it was
in anyway possible under Cygwin. It seems as though I keep having trouble
at "installing python" with the following error message:

>>      0 [main] python 4044
C:\cygwin\home\Eve\yt\yt-unknown\src\Python-2.7.2\python.exe: *** fatal
error - unable to remap
\\?\C:\cygwin\home\Eve\yt\yt-unknown\src\Python-2.7.2\build\lib.cygwin-1.7.9-i686-2.7\grp.dll
to same address as parent: 0x460000 != 0x510000
>> Stack trace:
>> Frame     Function  Args
>> 00289BD8  6102796B  (00289BD8, 00000000, 00000000, 00000000)
>> 00289EC8  6102796B  (6117EC60, 00008000, 00000000, 61180977)
>> 0028AEF8  61004F1B  (611A7FAC, 612488A4, 00460000, 00510000)
>> End of stack trace
>>      1 [main] python 4592 fork: child 4044 - died waiting for dll
>> error: Resource temporarily unavailable
>> make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1
>>
>> I've tried rebaseall in ash as well as peflagsall followed by a reboot
but nothing seems to work.

>> I've also tried compiling Python independently from yt install package
which gave me the same error so I'm guessing something's wrong with the way
Cygwin is set up on my computer or the way I'm trying to compile Python.

>> Is it possible to run yt under Cygwin anyway? If not, I'll have to use a
workstation at my institution through ssh during the workshop...