[yt-users] question on the halo profiler

Luigi Iapichino luigi at ita.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu May 19 01:29:33 PDT 2011

Dear all,

I have the following (rather standard, I guess) problem: I want to produce
radial profiles of selected quantities, from a number of halos in my
cosmological box. I am using the yt halo profiler, in the unstable branch. So
far, I am able to add filters in such a way to select as many halos as I
want, but I have problems with setting the outer radius of my profiles.

Here are the relevant parts of my script:

import yt.analysis_modules.halo_profiler.api as HP

hp = HP.HaloProfiler(data_dir,
halos="multiple",halo_radius=500,radius_units="kpc",n_profile_bins=20)

In particular, I am not able to change the outer radius by setting
halo_radius. I read in the manual:
" halo_radius (float): if no halo radii are provided in the halo list file,
this parameter ..." etc.

Now, in the halo list file provided by the HOP tool (within yt) there is an
entry called max_r. Is it a problem if I want to override it and set the
outer radius differently? As a side note, however max_r is >not< the current
outer radius that I found in my in Halo_0000_profile.dat .
I look forward to your suggestions,
Cheers,

  Luigi

Luigi Iapichino
Zentrum fuer Astronomie der Universitaet Heidelberg
Institut fuer Theoretische Astrophysik
Albert-Ueberle-Str. 2, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel: +49 6221 548983, Fax: +49 6221 544221
e-mail: luigi at ita.uni-heidelberg.de