[yt-users] X11 issues with yt

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:10:29 PDT 2011

Hi Elizabeth,

If you're indeed running something as simple as:

mpirun -np 137 python dosomething.py

then can you try submitting a script *Without* the hashbang
/usr/bin/python at the top, and just including in it *only* the lines:

import matplotlib;matplotlib.use("Agg")

?  If that fails, then I think it's something that is out of the realm
of yt and might be cause for discussion with the sysadmins.

Good luck,

Matt

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Elizabeth Tasker <taskere at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> For some reason, it doesn't recognise this. Even though I have it right at
> the start of my script, I see:
>
> work/taskere/yt/yt-2/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py:854:
> UserWarning:  This call to matplotlib.use() has no effect
> because the the backend has already been chosen;
> matplotlib.use() must be called *before* pylab, matplotlib.pyplot,
> or matplotlib.backends is imported for the first time.
>

> But it couldn't come any earlier:
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> import matplotlib
> matplotlib.use('Agg')
>
> from yt.config import ytcfg; ytcfg["yt","serialize"] = "False"
> from yt.analysis_modules.api import EnzoSimulation as ES
> from yt.mods import *
>

> Elizabeth
>

> Cameron Hummels wrote:
>>
>> Try making the first two lines of your code:
>>
>> import matplotlib
>> matplotlib.use('Agg')
>>
>> I believe the caps on the 'Agg' matter.
>>
>> Cameron
>>
>> On 5/2/11 11:18 AM, Elizabeth Tasker wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I suspect this is really a python query, but I've been unable to fix
>>> it... An cluster upgrade has meant I have to submit all my yt scripts to the
>>> queue, rather than running interactively. For some reason, my script wants
>>> to pull up a window to show its plot and then panics because it can't find a
>>> display when it's submitted to a node. I don't understand why it wants to do
>>> this when I ask it to save, not show:
>>>

>>> from yt.config import ytcfg; ytcfg["yt","serialize"] = "False"
>>> from yt.analysis_modules.api import EnzoSimulation as ES
>>> from yt.mods import *
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..