[yt-users] bitbucket success story

j s oishi jsoishi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 13:51:09 PST 2011

Hi All,

I know there have been some big changes for users of yt recently:
yt-2.0 and the move to BitBucket for repository hosting. I just wanted
to tell you a bit about what the latter has given us. Recently, Andrew
Myers, a yt user from the Orion group at Berkeley, contacted us about
some patches he'd made to support the forthcoming Orion2 code, which
is based on Chombo. Matt and I had written a bare-bones Chombo reader
quite some time ago, in a rush. As I recall, it was written between
dinner and when I went to a friend's birthday party one Friday night.
Anyway, suffice it to say it wasn't really ready for Andrew to use,
but he made it work. In the days before the move to BitBucket, we
would have had to have him export a patchset, mail it to us, and then
we'd have to apply it, and push the changes.

However, because of BitBucket, Andrew was able to fork the yt
repository, add his changes, and then send us a push request. When
that happened, we got email, and were able to simply use hg incoming
to look over his patches and then push them right back to the main
repository without leaving mercurial! No coordinating changesets via
email, and most important, anyone on the yt dev team gets the emails,
making the turnaround faster. We hope that many users who are not part
of the core yt development team will be able to submit patches quickly
and easily this way in the future. If you have any patches or
development you'd like to do on yt, just go to the yt BitBucket page
(https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt), and make your own fork by
clicking on the "fork" button. More details and some guidelines for
hacking on yt can be found at
http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/advanced/developing.html.

Thanks,

Jeff